1. Bought from Lai yuan and Company 來遠公司, New York. For price, see Original Miscellaneous List, p. 160.
2. (Undated Folder Sheet note) Original attribution: Han 漢 or earlier. See further, S.I. 676, Appendix VII.
3. (Carl Whiting Bishop, 1922) See Berthold Laufer, Jade: A Study in Chinese Archaeology and Religion (Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1912), pp. 40 et seq., on F1917.396 of this collection, a similar piece, but larger.
4. (John Ellerton Lodge, 1940) Early Chou [Zhou] 周.
5. (Isabel Ingram Mayer, 1945) Shang 商 dynasty.
6. (Julia K. Murray, 1982) For a general discussion of jade ko [ge] 戈, see Folder Sheet F1917.396.
Both of the perforations on this ko [ge] 戈 are off axis and thus the median ridge does not pass through them. The incised decoration consists of five pairs of projecting crenallations on the butt, and two pairs of shallower lines incised at right angles to the butt and passing through the rear perforation.
7. (Stephen Allee per Keith Wilson, June 12, 2008) As per Jenny F. So, Jade Project Database, changed Date from (12th--11th century BCE) to (ca. 1600--ca. 1050 BCE); changed Object Name from "Weapon: halberd (ge 戈)" to "Ceremonial object"; changed Title to "Dagger-axe (ge 戈)." Added Dimensions per Christine Lee, from Jade Project Database. Added designation "nephrite" to Medium as per Elizabeth West Fitzhugh, August 1959, as determined by x-ray diffraction, and confirmed by Wen Guang 聞廣 in June 1997, as determined by infrared spectroscopy.
8. (Jeffrey Smith per Keith Wilson, July 16, 2008) Ceremonial object added as secondary classification.
9. (Susan Kitsoulis per Keith Wilson, June 10, 2010) "Shang 商 Dynasty" changed to "Late Shang 商 Dynasty"; "Anyang 安陽 period" added to Period two; date changed from "ca. 1600--1050 BCE" to "ca. 1300--1050 BCE."
10. (Najiba Choudhury per Keith Wilson, August 16, 2017) Title changed from "Dagger-axe (ge)" to "Dagger axe (ge 戈), fragment reworked"; Period One changed from "Late Shang dynasty" to "Erlitou culture or early Shang dynasty"; Date changed from "ca. 1300-ca. 1050 BCE" to "ca. 2000-ca. 1400 BCE"; deleted "Anyang period" from Period Two; Geography changed from "China" to "China, probably Henan province"; and Dimensions changed from "H x W x D: 31.4 x 8.6 x 0.8 cm (12 3/8 x 3 3/8 x 5/16 in)" to "H x W x D: 8.6 x 31.4 x 0.8 cm (3 3/8 x 12 3/8 x 5/16 in)".
11. (Najiba Choudhury per Keith Wilson, February 1, 2019) Added Chinese Translation by Jingmin Zhang; added the following to the Description field, "Ceremonial weapon of the type ko [ge] 戈; light gray with green cast, pale yellow and blue mottlings; two conical perforations in the tang, drilled from opposite sides of the blade; incised and channeled lines on butt and tang; pointed end and two cutting edges. (Slightly chipped.)"
Added past Label Text from the exhibition, Liangzhu and its Legacy, November 4, 2010-January 3, 2016. Changed title from "Dagger axe (ge 戈), fragment reworked" to "Dagger-axe (ge 戈), fragment reworked".