An Orange Note: Sweet Shop
- Oil painting
- Artist: James McNeill Whistler (American, 1834-1903)
- Historical period(s)
- 1883 or 1884
- Oil on wood panel
- H x W: 12.2 x 21.5 cm (4 13/16 x 8 7/16 in)
- United States
- Credit Line
- Gift of Charles Lang Freer
- Freer Gallery of Art
- Accession Number
- This is one of several paintings of shop fronts that Whistler completed while in St. Ives. Sympathetic critics singled it out for enthusiastic praise when Whistler exhibited it in London in 1884. One declared, it "is probably the most perfect little thing of its kind that was ever wrought by an artist who has learnt how to see.It is without detail, without apparent labour, without dramatic interest; but it is exquisite in colour, faultless in tone, and its well-considered mystery has, at least, the interest of suggestiveness." Quotation from Mr. Whistler's Exhibition, Standard, May 19, 1884.
Wickham Flower (circa 1836-1904), London, to 1904 
P. & D. Colnaghi & Co., London, purchased at the sale of the Wickham Flower Collection, Christie's, December 17, 1904 
From 1904 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from P. & D. Colnaghi & Co. in 1904 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 According to Curatorial Remark 1 in the object record: " Purchased from Mr. Desprez of P. and D. Colnaghi and Co., London, in 1904, and by them purchased at Christie's Sale, December 17, 1904, of the Wickham Flower Collection."
 See Original Whistler List, Paintings, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 2.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Former owner
- Wickham Flower (circa 1836 - 1904)
P. & D. Colnaghi (C.L. Freer source)
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919)
- On View Location
- Freer Gallery 11: Whistler in Watercolor
- Collection(s) Area
- American Art
- Web Resource(s)
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
- Copyright with museum