- Incense burner
- Historical period(s)
- Edo period, 19th century
- Stoneware with lead glazes over clear glaze; silver lid
- Hirasa ware
- H x W (overall): 13.2 x 14.8 cm (5 3/16 x 5 13/16 in)
- Japan, Kagoshima prefecture, Yamauchi, Hirasa kilns
- Credit Line
- Gift of Charles Lang Freer
- Freer Gallery of Art
- Accession Number
- Incense-burner. Two handles. Silver cover.
Clay: hard, dense.
Glaze: "tortoise-shell marked"; orange splashed with black, white, and green.
Tozo Takayanagi, New York to 1893 
From 1893 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Tozo Takayanagi in 1893 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Pottery List, L. 140, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Former owner
- Takayanagi Tozo 高柳陶造 (C.L. Freer source)
Charles Lang Freer (1854 - 1919)
- On View Location
- Currently not on view
- Collection(s) Area
- Japanese Art
- Web Resource(s)
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
- Copyright with museum